Monday, October 23, 2006

Getty Sssauce-e-y

I am one unmotivated sauce-maker, especially when it comes to western recipes. Well, there is a huge variety of sauces one can get in the supermarket these days. We are already spoilt for choices-Marinara, Roasted Red Peppers, Vodka Marinara, Three Cheeses, Tomato and Basil, Fired Roasted Mushrooms...the list goes on and on. And that explains...I usually get sauces (mainly tomato-based) off the shelves. Haha, I told you I am one unmotivated sauce-maker...

Finally, I DID make my own sauce ONCE, only because I had some fresh basil left from cooking Kai Pad Bai Kaprow, and I was not patient to work through the storage of basil , especially when I only have some few leaves left. So maybe I should try this ? Make my own pesto sauce! Most pesto sauces are made from basil leaves and pine nuts. However, since I have one handful of pistachios left in the fridge, I could only sacrifice my snacks for making this sauce. Tada...presenting...my homemade pistachios pesto sauce.

Homemade pistachios pesto sauce
Ingredients:
-1/2 cup basil leaves, rinsed before using
-1 handful of pistachios,shelled before using (as the origin of this came out from my snacks, it could only be roasted, salted, in shell)
-1 clove garlic
-extra virgin olive oil, EVOO
-Parmigiano Reggiano or Parmesan cheese, to taste
-freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Method:
1.Combine basil, pistachios, garlic, cheese in handheld electronic chopper/blender, process to mix
2.While mixing, slowly add in EVOO till desired consistency (should have a grainy texture and less of a puree)
Mine looks like this:



3.Season with cheese and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4.Serve over sauteed/grilled fish, or over pasta (I did both! And it was surprisingly quite good!)



5.If not in use immediately, store in airtight container and into the refrigerator



Tag: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger tigerfish said...

you know me so well ! :)

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home